Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Crane and the Swan



These next two pieces I did a month after "Flock of Seagulls" and "School of Fish". I wanted to create illustrations from two fables, the story of the Crane Wife and the Swan Princess, both women who are trapped in the form of birds.


These piece was the first I painted of the two, and like with the drawings I did a month earlier, it is my favourite.


Crane Wife: 2010
- pencil crayon, ink, water colour
- 15x20 inches, illustration board


Since I was mostly working with water colour paints for these pieces, I tried a texture technique by adding large sea salt crystals you use for baths in the paint in the background, giving that interesting texture you can see.


Of the two, the technique, I found, was more successful in the "Swan Princess"



Swan Princess: 2010
- pencil crayon, ink, water colour
- 15x20 inches, illustration board


No comments:

Post a Comment